Saturday, 1 February 2014

A Week in Perth...

Two weeks ago I flew to Perth to catch up with some of my oldest and dearest friends and to join in the surprise 50th birthday celebrations for one of them. These are the friends I made almost 20 years ago when I left uni to teach my very first class in a remote Aboriginal community in the Kimberley in WA. Those years remain some of the best of my life. I loved my little class and still think of them all the time, and worry about them too, especially now that I'm a mum. And now many of them are parents themselves, which really blows my mind. They would be thinking that I'm an old lady now too I'm sure.

The universe certainly knew what she was doing when she threw us all together up there, we were at least 200km from anywhere and so made our own fun. You can imagine the shenanigans. I love that we're still so close and that even though we're now scattered all over the place, when we're back together we can just pick up where we all left off. It was so lovely to meet new partners and children, and especially to catch up again with our dear friend B, a gorgeous priest who has married at least four of us to our partners and baptised so many of our children.


I flew to Perth at almost the exact time my Milo was stillborn ten years ago. I thought of him the whole way and how back then I wouldn't have dreamed how our lives have changed. And even further back when I was last in Perth and just a few years away from meeting his father and about to step onto the ride of my life. I say it all the time but I still find it so hard to believe what our family has been through. Sometimes it feels like it was all a dream. 


I got off the plane and thought: I'm back with my people! There's something about Western Australia which will always feel like a home to me, it's hard to explain. Maybe because we were all so far from our families and homes we quickly became family to each other and that beautiful country and its people became our home. And seeing this ancient boab tree which was transported from the Kimberley all the way down to Kings Park in Perth nearly brought me to tears. I have such strong memories of going out bush with the ladies and kids to their significant places and hearing their stories while sitting under these trees. I just wanted to wrap my arms around it.

And as always, loved seeing the beautiful WA florals...


And the beaches and those incredible sunsets over the sea.


My week was short but so full and I loved it. Of course I missed my husband and children, but they were very busy themselves with respite camps and soccer camps and generally having a holiday without me. I think they loved it too. I felt so lucky when I got off the plane to their smiling little faces. I couldn't help but remember again that all the experiences I shared with those dear friends of mine so long ago were all the signposts along my pathway and how I just need to trust that this life is unfolding as it should.

Up here with my darlings, at home on this hill.

                This place where you are right now, God circled on a map for you.   - Hafiz



6 comments:

  1. I've never been to Western Australia … but I think it just made it to the top of my "Where to go next" list.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh if you get the chance you should really go! It's a special place xx

      Delete
  2. So glad coming to Perth had so many fond memories for you...Love seeing my city through your camera....don't be so long in coming back and maybe treat the family LOL. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your city is really beautiful Bron, would love to bring my family back! And so enjoyed meeting you xx

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful time- there is something very special about old friends. So nice that you were able to manage that trip. Love those sunset shots. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherb gave me a leave pass for a week Leanne, was lucky I came home, was very tempted to head up to Bali with Bron! Next time! Hope you all got through your first week back at school okay xx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I would love to hear from you!